Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Back at CHOP, A Touch Earlier Than Expected

Henry went in for his weekly pediatrician appointment Tuesday morning. I showed his doctor his goopy eye (conjunctivitis?) and his incision site which was starting to look a little infected (redness, swelling, some discharge). She was about to take a culture swab and then told me she'd rather call his surgeon at CHOP for some guidance. To give her a second. She came back less than 10 minutes later and told me that she spoke to Dr. Gaynor and he wanted me to come down to Philly NOW. As in, leave the ofc, go home, gather your stuff, and drive now.

So that's what i did. I was able to pack everything in a whirlwind in about an hour (packing conservatively but thoroughly and quickly is hard for me to do!). Checked my list twice over, and i set out. I'm efficient at setting up Henry's feeds for the road now, compared to that first ride home from CHOP, a mere two weeks ago.

I arrived around 6pm, and 6 hours later, was finally winding down for the night. I had to spend the night in Hank's room on a weird pull out chair/bed thing, but that worked out fine. I actually got some decent sleep. It was kinda fun having our room window overlook the indoor atrium where a gigantic mobile hangs. The lighting was unique and calming.

In those 6 hours, a lot went on. I had to check in through the ER, as i had arrived too late to check in to where they initially told me to go. The ER was *PACKED*. I walked up to the front desk, and in true professional CHOP fashion, there was a note on Henry's electronic file telling them i was en route from NY and to contact the appropriate people upon arrival. I was taken to a back area, away from "the masses," and Henry was checked over. During that checkup, he proceeded to throw up his entire feed from 35 min ago. When he does this (the second time), i call it "Niagara Falls." He shows little expression or reaction to the constant FLOW of formula coming up from his tummy. Just POURS out. Poor lil guy. We're still not entirely sure WHY this is happening. Could simply be a product of having reflux, of course, a more extreme version. So i cleaned him up and continued to wait for a someone to take us wherever they needed to take us. I had a feeling we'd be going back to the Cardiac Care Unit.

Sure enough, we were eventually brought up and put in a room. Henry once again was hooked up to all the monitors i was happy to see go when we were discharged. Wires galore! Oh well. A variety of folks came to check in, including cardiac fellows, attendings, resident on call, several nurses (many just to say hi again, 'cause everyone remembers Handsome Hank!) and a couple other folks in between, including a phlebotomist (someone who takes blood and puts in IV lines). She was a small Asian lady with a very thick accent, and she and three other nurses spent a harrowing 40+ minutes trying to find a little vein on any of Henry's 4 limbs. They warm up heat packs and wrap them around his ankles and wrists before trying, but even that didn't help. I'm not sure what i was doing when they started (i was out somewhere - maybe going back to the car for stuff), but when i returned and started in with my reassuring Mommy talk, that's when they got a vein. COINCIDENCE?!?! Could be... but i'd like to think not.

They've taken some cultures and found some bacteria that they are now treating with 2 different antibiotics. No one feels this is some out of control situation requiring him to a lengthy stay. I think we "nipped it in the bud," whatever IT was/is, so that's a good thing. His surgeon came in to check on him this morning, all of 43.5 seconds. Dr. Ravishankar, his primary cardiologist, also came in. I think she was secretively happy to see lil Henry again so soon, despite that not being the plan.

So i type this now from the Ronald McDonald House; i just got in this morning. I came over as soon as i heard to take a shower and check out my "closet" of a room, which i LOVE and which will suit me fine while i'm here a couple days (notice i did not say WEEK or weeks). With some luck, i'll be heading home by Friday.

A BIG PRO HERE: I am able to pump in a more timely fashion, which might help increase and bring back my production. When i am home, time completely gets away from me and i often go 4-6 hours between pumpings, entirely too much time to keep up my supply. I'd love to give Henry as much milk as i can, for as long as i can, but i do not plan to beat myself up on this topic. He's gotten almost 2 months worth, and i'm proud of that, considering he's never had direct contact with me ever. *sniffle*

Well, i think i will head back to the lil guy and see if i didn't miss bathtime and G-Tube re-dressing. And if i did, i'm willing to bet that no one babied his dry lil mouth like i do, and so I'm off to make my lil guy handsome and comfortable and give him luvvins. I'll be back as things develop......

3 comments:

  1. I am glad that you caught whatever infection it was early! I hope the antibiotics do their trick quickly. In the meanwhile, no drinking for Henry (jk - stupid antibiotic joke)! My thoughts are with you! Give Henry a big hug from Aunt Hope, and please do the same to Chip, Sam and Thom when you get back. I love you all! One day at a time!
    <3
    Hopey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job catching "it" so quickly. I know how frusterating it probably is to be back in the hospital.. but it sounds like CHOP is an amazing facility.

    As far as the milk supply issues go, there is an amazing drug called Domperidone, that really helps bump up your milk supply, without having any negative effects on you or the baby. Let me know if you want info on how to get it. I used it when I was losing my milk when Eli was 4 months, and it really helped. Pumping full time really stinks.. but if there's a way you can make it work for longer.. it may be worth it.
    Hang in there. Praying for you guys.

    Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad that your back in CHOP but glad that its under control and he can recover more quickly. Have a safe trip back when the time comes and remember, lots of kisses always makes a mama feel better

    ReplyDelete