Saturday, November 29, 2008

Like Taking Candy From a Baby

Many of you already know that Ron and I listen to NPR Radio quite often, at work and at home. I appreciate the news stories they deliver, as they are often unconventional and thoroughly captivating.

As a photography major, I was intrigued by a story about Jill Greenberg's exhibit entitled "End Times." She photographed babies and toddler's in the middle of a crying fit (as a result of quite literally giving them a lollipop, then taking it away), to illustrate her (and the world's, really) growing concern about our economy, social situation and environment.

Jill Greenberg explains, “The children I photographed were not harmed in any way. And, as a mother, I am quite aware of how easily toddlers can cry. Storms of grief sweep across their features without warning; a joyful smile can dissolve into a grimace of despair. The first little boy I shot, Liam, suddenly became hysterically upset. It reminded me of helplessness and anger I feel about our current political and social situation. The most dangerous fundamentalists aren’t just waging war in Iraq; they’re attacking evolution, blocking medical research and ignoring the environment. It’s as if they believe the apocalyptic End Time is near, therefore protecting the earth and future of our children is futile. As a parent I have to reckon with the knowledge that our children will suffer for the mistakes our government is making. Their pain is a precursor of what is to come.”

The boy in the middle of the grid reminds me of Sam. I have seen Sam crying like this over something incredibly trivial. Then, within seconds, he is laughing and showing me a toy, tears still wet on his face. Ms. Greenberg's images have stirred controversy over the CRUELTY she used to capture the children's expressions. I'm am wholly convinced that these distraught, "concerned" individuals do not have children nor have been exposed to the roller coaster of emotions a toddler experiences. I simply roll my eyes and soak in the beauty of these images; the color and lighting are extraordinary. I will be looking into Ms. Greenberg's work further.

No comments:

Post a Comment