Monday, October 06, 2008

Traitor Joe?

As most, if not all, of you know, Ron and i work for Wegmans. It's an awesome food market (aka, GROCERY STORE). And, at least personally to us, given our recent events, a very compassionate, giving group of coworkers and supervisors. I love my job and I hope to be there for a while.

BUT....

If there was one really fun thing that came of our excursion to Virginia this past week, it was experiencing Trader Joe's, another VERY COOL grocery store chain. Surf around their website if you are not personally familiar with one. I know Katie, outside Philly, goes to one now and then. Still dig 'em Katie?

The other reason i'm personally interested in them is their sign shop. I read an NPR feature about sign shop artists in grocery stores (can you believe it!?). It sounded like just the kind of place i would dig working at, and now that i've gotten the chance to shop around one, both as an artist and customer, I was right. I told Ron, if i **HAD** to live in the hustle/bustle of the metropolitan D.C. area (that i DO NOT miss), i would like working at Trader Joe's. It felt like a little corner of Vermont on the end of a strip mall.

First of all, their sign shop artist draws ALL their signs, including their price markers on the shelves. And her (i'll assume (hehe)) signs are all made out of scroll-sawed wood, painted with great detail. It really makes an impact!!! The store size was quaint, which i really loved. And their products were funky and reasonably priced too! We got some yummy chili-lime cashews, almond crunch cereal, chocolate-covered cranberries, and some 100% wholesome yogurt, among a couple other delights.

Trader Joe's - - I'm secretly in love with you. But don't tell Danny Wegman...

(on a related note, i am returning to work this Wednesday from being on maternity leave a measly 8 weeks (one of those weeks being before i had Tom)). I joked that i'm bringing Tom in with me and putting him on the back counter to swing away and sleep. It could work, honestly. Alas...)

2 comments:

  1. NOT "Traitor Joe." Are you kidding? I think Trader Joe's is God's gift to shoppers. It is the perfect place for picking up last minute (and simple-ingredient) party foods, and awesome, simple shampoos, as well as being a great place to find regular foods too. --And they keep my cupboards stocked with condiments and yummy pickles, just like I like. I lived two blocks away from a Trader Joe's in Portland, and I was very spoiled the whole time! They also have some of the best deals in wine that you can imagine (what up, "Three Buck Chuck"?), and the employees are almost as happy and helpful as those from Wegman's. I have a suggestion. Move to Portland. (I do not work for Trader Joe's marketing campaign, I swear.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE TJ's! It's on my regular rotation, along with Wegmans and Giant. Chris, you'd fit in so well there. With PA's liquor laws we can't get Three Buck Chuck (or in DE, either, much to my dismay) but I've heard lots about it. I think I'm sue for another trip to TJ's...

    ReplyDelete