Thursday, June 26, 2008

Our Lil Spelling Bee

So as a follow-up to the YouTube clip we have of Sam spelling his name, I'd like to add that he is QUITE TAKEN with the alphabet and spelling in general. One day, he completely shocked me by spelling S-T-O-P from the backseat as we approached a stop sign. We did not teach him this. Neither did daycare.

*insert "Twilight Zone" theme music here*

Since the YouTube clip, he's learned to spell (aka, recite upon asking) the words MOM, DAD, RON, EGG sometimes CAT, and the Mother of Big Words (for now): BABYBUG (his little magazine we read). I've been actively showing him the letters of the alphabet, randomly, and asking him to point to them. Aside from "Q" and "Z" (uh oh - the high letter scorers in Scrabble!), he knows them all. In fact, i don't think he knows the Alphabet Song yet, which a lot of times is just a memorization "jingle" for kids this age. I'm siked that he's taken interest in all this. I often ask him if he'd like to know how to spell this-n-that word, and he nods enthusiastically while repeating after me. I think it's REALLY important to establish a strong grasp on language and spelling and grammar in this world, and if it's coming at an early age, all the more advantage. Spelling came very naturally to me growing up - maybe i've passed this gene on.

It's also funny to note HOW he recites the words/spelling back to me. Very "Spelling Bee"ish. There's inflection at the end of every letter, and when he's done spelling it, he repeats the word. So dang cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment