Saturday, January 12, 2008

"We're Movin' on uh-UP!"

For a few months now, I've been toying with the idea of transitioning Sam to a bed. Maybe one of those cute toddler beds, or a twin with a side rail. Whatever. I talked to his doc at the last visit and she suggested he was ready. I've talked to friends, and this is the time. I've seen articles in mags and shows on t.v. - yes, this is a good age.

But i'll admit, I was being a wuss about it. And WHY? NO, it has ZERO to do with "my baby growing up." I think i've made it clear to many of you that i love the idea of Sam getting older. I daydream about him going to school, playing sports or towering over me in college. No... the REASON IS LAME, i warn you: I didn't want to have to deal with the likely chance that he'd be getting up and down with his newfound freedom.

Because We've Had it OH SO GOOD Since Day 1.

We weren't the parents that had restless sleepless nights with a crying newborn (barring those ONE OR TWO nights!). We never had a hard time with him going down for bed or a nap (barring some teething nights or flu pukes). And I am very much aware and appreciative of these thing. So imagine my not wanting to rock that boat with a little bed that says "here... there's a way for you to get out, my friend... go roam, go explore, go bug mommy at 2am at her bedside, and freak her out of her wits!"

Well, i think i may have underestimated my son, and i had this realization in the span of 1 minute while helping Ron carry a 'new' used Toddler Bed up our stairs from an awesome Sal Val purchase.

I sat in the Sat Val hemming and hawwing this brainless purchase for the all the reasons stated above. This lil bed was in PERFECT, if not nearly new, condition. White, simple, totally cute. i had not intended to buy a toddler bed, but here one was, and it would work. Great, in fact. Ron said, "let's buy it now, but convert his crib to a daybed. As he gets used to that, we'll move him over to this." That reasoning sounded GRAND, so we did it.

In bringing it up the front stairs, i said, "Ron... i think i'm underestimating Sam. I DON'T think he'll buck us on this. I have a feeling now that he'll really dig his new bed and just take to it."

OMG, i was right.

First, when we walked in the door, his eyes lit up and he was EXCITED. Right away, he exclaimed, "MINE!?" - i said, "yeah buddy... it's your new bed. Do you like it?" Big smile and nodding head. Then he wanted to get right in! Of course there was no mattress, but at this point i knew we would be transitioning him TONIGHT.

So Ron and i brought it up, and with Sam's "help" we disassembled the crib and moved the toddler bed into place. I moved all his "bed buddies" over and at first, he was scrambling and turning and bouncing, christening his new bed! But when we turned all the lights out and went thru his normal bed routine, he cuddled into the corner saying "night night" and.... THAT WAS THAT!!!

I was shocked. I mean, i was and I wasn't. All night i kept waiting for the pitter patter of little feet, Sam appearing at the top of the steps after we had gone back down. Maybe it helped that it was about an hour past his bedtime when he finally went down. i don't know. I'm not going to question this too much.

My son just matured a few extra months on me tonight. This is a big deal. At least to me. There are certain "milestones" in a child's life, and i think moving from a crib to a bed is a big one. Not that he'll make note of it or remember. But i will. This is COOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment