Sunday, October 14, 2007

On a Sushi Kick

Over a year ago, a friend of mine at Wegmans sat down to lunch with a tray of sushi from our own sushi bar. I said, "i've never been into that... do you really like it?" She said, "yeah, i love it. I don't get the kind with raw fish." I had no idea (naively perhaps?) that sushi could come with COOKED fish. "Wanna try some?" she asked. So i did. And i didn't care for it.

The seaweed got to me.

There is a very thin layer of seaweed that comprises the roll up. I was familiar with and liked everything else in it: julienned carrots, avacado, rice, sesame seeds. The whole thing sounded really good except for that darned seaweed. It made the whole thing taste a little too much like it was FROM THE SEA.

Skip ahead a year (maybe i tried it when i was pregnant?) and my friend Natalie picked some up (again at a Wegmans) for the drive home. I go thru the story above, and she says, "it's really yummy... wanna try it again?" I'm game. I'll always try anything - even a couple times.

This time, i TOTALLY DUG IT.

The seaweed flavor, this time, added to my experience. I did not find it to be fishy, but rather a unique 'sweetness.'

Since this Second Day of Trying, I've been hooked. It's the kind of Hooked that translates into getting sushi 4-5 times a week. At $5.50 a pop, that ain't cheap. It's also the kind of Hooked that's starting to lose its novelty. I certainly don't HATE sushi, but i've grown tired of its constant presense in my diet. Just like with anything SUPER GOOD (think chocolate, fine wine or that perfect bacon cheeseburger (sorry you veggies out there)), you have to enjoy it in moderation or it loses its "specialness." I had a little too much of a good thing lately... i think i'll give sushi a little time to become NEW to me again.

SO - - if you like seafood, COOKED, and have always wondered about sushi, give it a try. Look for a "California Roll" (all veggies) or a "Full Moon Combo" (variations of shrimp, seafood salad and crabmeat) to start you out.

No comments:

Post a Comment