Saturday, August 14, 2010

Cleft Family Picnic

Over a month ago, i received an invitation in the mail to attend the Golisano's Children's Hospital Pediatric Cleft and Craniofacial Center Cleft Lip and Palate Family Picnic on Friday evening. It's a way for families to get together and share stories and happiness about their own and/or their child's lip/palate repair. It's also a sneaky, legal way to get by HIPAA privacy laws, and i love how they've done it.

I called my friend Kathy on Wednesday and asked if she could accompany me and given the short notice, i lucked out! We packed ourselves and Hank in the car and was on the road by 4:45. We arrived at Camp Eastman on BEAUTIFUL Lake Ontario around 6:30 and was immediately greeted by a ton of amazing, friendly individuals and their children who once had a bilateral cleft lip (and some, palate) like Henry. The picnic food was GREAT too: pulled pork sandwich, fresh fruit and pasta salad.

I met Julie, a woman who swears she is "MUCH OLDER" than me (I think i just looked young to her!) who looked like Henry at birth. She shared an amazing story of her surgery, the fact that her brother was born with a bilateral cleft, as well, on her surgery day (!), and introduced me to her very friendly husband and daughter. She was a blast to chat with and i just felt like i had known her for a long time. I love when you get that vibe from someone!

I met Kelly and her little guy Tanner and his sister who i think she said they adopted from Guam (and another sister adopted from Cambodia). They picked him up at 19 mos old with his teeth already emerged from his little 'nubbin.' I asked about feeding issues with him and Dad laughed, stating that he has NO problems eating them out of house and home. All the families i talked with concerning feeding issues said they've had no problem and their kids just picked it up instinctually. That was a relief, as well as confirming my gut thoughts on this topic.

I met Kathy and her son Tyler. He has some hearing issues as a result of his cleft, but he was a darling little guy, 7 yrs old, and ansy to leave after a full day of playing and interacting with other children.

I think this picnic is an AMAZING, wonderful opportunity for families to bond with each other and see how everyone's respective child is developing and healing. Some kids I saw a noticeable scar and others I saw close to nothing. It's amazing what they can do with such extreme facial deformities. I'm thrilled to have chosen this Team to go forward with Henry. I look forward to his surgery and bringing him to future picnics as a living, walking testamonial to "show off" as well. :-)

6 comments:

  1. Awwww I made the blog page! ;) It was so awesome meeting you, Henry and your friend!! I can't WAIT to watch the progression of your handsome little boy!! :)
    ~Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds amazing, Chris. I am so glad they have a "work around," so families can get to know one another and talk about these common issues, instead of feeling alone with them. It is so good you went!

    I love you guys so much! You are awesome!

    Hope

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really glad that you're able to find all these cool treasures to help with Henry. I'm a firm believer in Research and when you can do research with real people who have experienced the same things, its a special kind of treasure. I can't wait to see Henry with his new little lip and even though I thoroughly enjoy his smile now, it will only be better after surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool. And I must say that picture of you and Kathy is beautiful! We still have to get together women!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have tears ready to spill out, Chris after reading this latest addition. How wonderful. THESE ARE GREAT FOR PARENTS. Go to it. I hope Ron is able to partake of the experience. I'll sit any time you both can go . It's so good to have this kind of union. Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alright, alright, so I'm only a FEW years older. I guess we both just look awesome for our years. HAHA!! :) I can't wait to meet the rest of your family and hug Henry some more at Strong!! In all my years of volunteering, he's the first baby I got to meet PRE-REPAIR!! :) Special connection now. :) ~Julie

    ReplyDelete