Friday, September 04, 2009

Dansville Balloon Festival - "Glow"

This Labor Day Weekend, Dansville, NY hosts its 28th Annual NYS Festival of Balloons. Hot air balloons, that is. I've always wanted to go to one of these things (Lewiston, ME has one every year as well) and have never gotten around to it.

Well, despite our plans to go to the beach with Katie's family the REST of this weekend, we were able to partake in the first balloon activity for the weekend, the Thursday Night "Balloon Glow." Starting at 8pm, 10 balloons showed off their stuff by inflating (tethered, no rides this night) and then "glowing" in the night sky with the bursts of hot air. I always thought helium might be used in hot air balloons (naive of me?), but in chatting briefly with one of the guys holding a rope, he said its only hot air (hot air is lighter than cool air, thus the FLOATING of the balloon into the sky).


We were able to walk right in among all the balloons, to see how they are inflated, balanced by people holding ropes, etc. Both boys really enjoyed it. I was loving watching Thom, for a good 25 minutes, sitting completely still and taking it all in! Sam was even invited into one of the baskets, to see how it felt and where he'd be standing for a ride. He loved it. He said he wanted to go up in one some day. They do offer rides throughout the weekend. Each ride averages 2-3 hours for $200. I think that might be worth it some day! (I wonder if that is PER PERSON?)... What a fun, eye-candy filled night.

2 comments:

  1. Hey love the pics of the balloons. We are going up tomorrow (Saturday). Its $200 per person, I looked up the website. I have never been to a balloonfest so I am looking forward to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gone to the show down in Binghamton wanting the same thing, but having an empty wallet. It was $75. per person when I first went. I don't doubt the $200. Per now. I followed one that I thought was coming down at their own house, but they came down in a big field and had to repair something before they could get going again.That was on my way from your place. ST

    ReplyDelete